When lifting a 40ft container with an uneven load using a quay crane, there are a few factors to consider. Quay cranes typically use various types of lifting slings, and the choice of sling will depend on the specific circumstances and requirements of the lift.
Here are some general guidelines:
- Assess the load: Before lifting the container, carefully assess the weight distribution and any potential unevenness. Determine the center of gravity and identify the points of support for lifting.
- Select an appropriate sling type: For lifting containers, common sling types used with quay cranes include wire rope slings, chain slings, and synthetic webbing slings. The choice will depend on factors such as load weight, load configuration, and specific requirements or regulations at your location. You can find some of this products on our specialized website Lashing Equipment
- Wire rope slings: These consist of steel wire ropes with fittings at the ends. They are flexible, durable, and suitable for heavy loads. Wire rope slings are often used when lifting containers with uneven loads due to their strength and stability.
- Chain slings: Chain slings are made of alloy steel chains and have hooks or other fittings at the ends. They offer excellent strength and durability, making them suitable for uneven loads and heavy containers.
- Synthetic webbing slings: These slings are made of synthetic fibers and are lightweight, flexible, and less likely to damage the load. While they are not as strong as wire rope or chain slings, they can still be used for lighter containers with uneven loads.
- Consider additional equipment: Depending on the specific circumstances, you might need additional equipment to ensure a safe lift. This could include spreader bars, adjustable lifting beams, or twist locks to secure the container during the lift.
- Follow safety guidelines: Always adhere to safety guidelines and regulations specific to your location or company. Ensure that the crane operator and rigging crew are trained and experienced in handling container lifts with uneven loads.
It is important to note that the selection of the lifting sling and the exact procedures for lifting a container with an uneven load may vary depending on the specific equipment, regulations, and safety protocols at your location.
Consulting with experienced personnel or professionals familiar with your specific setup is recommended to ensure a safe and successful lift. Need help? Our team is ready to help.